Charles R. Conner Museum
Any visit to southeastern Washington should include a stop in Pullman and the Washington State University campus. Several museums on the campus offer exhibits that will spark the interest of any curious visitor. In the midst of it all lies the Connor Museum, the largest public collection of birds and mammals in the Pacific Northwest.
Conner Museum traces its beginnings to 1894, when Charles R. Conner, president of the Board of Regents, persuaded the State of Washington to donate its exhibits from the Chicago World’s Fair to the fledgling Washington Agricultural College. Those first exhibits were a mixture of several disciplines including anthropology, geology, biology and, of course, agriculture. Over time and through the influence of successive curators, the museum’s theme gradually narrowed and focused on vertebrate animals. Today the museum’s public exhibit includes over 700 mounts of birds and mammals. The scientific collection used by researchers houses over 65,000 specimens.
As part of WSU’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 public health emergency and in accordance with the temporary statewide shutdown of public facilities and recreational centers, including museums, the Conner Museum of Natural History is closed to the public through the end of spring semester.
(Closed on major holidays and during the annual University closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day)
South end of the first floor of Abelson Hall