The School of Biological Sciences Mission and Values
Mission and Values
The mission of the School of Biological Sciences is to advance and convey fundamental biological knowledge about how organisms function, interact, and evolve in a dynamic world—information that is critical to confront pressing problems facing our society.
- Discovery and excellence in biological research across levels of biological organization to address fundamental questions as well as local and global challenges.
- A diverse and inclusive community.
- Discovery and training by engaging undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars in advanced research and scholarship.
- A stimulating and collaborative environment for foundational and multidisciplinary research that encourages intellectual, personal, and professional growth.
- Education of students to be well-informed citizens by facilitating critical thinking, reasoning, and scientific literacy, and student and trainee preparation for professional careers.
- Outreach, leadership, and professional service to foster scientific understanding and inform public policy.
- Build a School that reflects and harnesses diversity across the state, nation, and globe.
- Build core research areas, connect core areas, and promote collaboration and integration across the WSU system.
- Build an internationally competitive graduate student and postdoctoral associate research and training program.
- Promote excellence in undergraduate biological education and training.
Strategies to achieve our goals:
- Secure capital investment for state-of-the-art research and teaching infrastructure.
- Procure adequate start-up funds and laboratories for new faculty.
- Invest in research infrastructure, including core facilities and internal seed funding.
- Provide competitive compensation to recruit and retain the highest caliber faculty.
- Hire to (i) maintain and enhance research strengths, including in emerging areas of biology, (ii) enhance diversity in SBS, and (iii) maintain balance across career stages.
- Provide competitive financial support, career mentorship, and cutting-edge research opportunities for our graduate students and postdoctoral research associates.
- Develop infrastructure and programs aimed at recruiting, retaining, and graduating a diverse and inclusive undergraduate and graduate student body.
- Enhance WSU system-wide coordination of SBS teaching, seminars, research and resources.
- Build on existing strengths in peer mentoring of faculty to enhance career-long development in research, teaching, and administration.
- Promote SBS outreach and achievements at local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Enhance undergraduate education using innovative approaches in the classroom and training in world-class research laboratories.
SBS embraces the core values of integrity, curiosity, collegiality, inclusivity, accessibility, and scientific creativity.